Be Where Your Feet Are

Saturday, July 2, 2016


'Be where your feet are.'

That's what growing up is, I think. 

It's learning to love vegetables. To choose of your own free accord to buy mushrooms and turkey and kale and balsamic. To get up at 4 a.m. when you've been tossing and turning instead of staying in bed and waiting to fall asleep like your mom always told you. To make midnight eggs and look your lions of anxiety in the eye and tell them, "You do not get to speak louder than me."

To call someone babe for the first time in your life and to smile unsarcastically when you say it. To not caring what your life looks like on Facebook any more - or even wanting to have a FB account, even.

To realizing relationships are about compromise on your part just as much as on the other person's and that sometimes you have to give up something.

It's learning how to do life well alone and then learning the even harder lesson of how to let love in.

To remembering what you laughingly said to a friend months ago, "I want a pet because I need something or someone to love," only to understand later on that you had someone to love - and that person was you, and damned if you didn't finally start doing a fine job of loving yourself after twenty-three years. 

It means falling asleep safe in someone's arms and understanding that home can be a person, not merely a place. That as Bea Taplinn says, sometimes 'it has a heartbeat.'

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Mariah said...

I'm right here with you, Grace, on not caring about facebook at this point. 8 years of my life have been sacrificed and enslaved to that site as I've hoped for intimacy and longed for a life rich + full neither of which could ever come from facebook. It has it's perks, I suppose, but these don't outweigh the burdens anymore. It's causing more disconnection from my real life--the place where my feet are planted--than enriching and connecting me to it. So I'm done. And it's nice to see that I'm not the only one.

Blessings <3
Mariah

Lilian said...

Lovely!

theartinlife said...

These words are so beautiful and true and I love every last one of them. (I am also ridiculously excited for your new relationship -- far more excited than I should be for someone I don't actually know. )

-Hannah

Laura @ Life Is Beautiful said...

Aww. <3 So excited for you in this time of love and learning.

Grace Anne said...

I love this so much:)

>>Hannah<< said...

This is SO sweet and cute! <3
Love your blog!

http://everythingisbetterwithpolkadots.blogspot.com/

Steel Magnoila & Pink Cherry Blossoms said...

I have so missed your writings - I find such peace and comfort in them.